When I was in Tokyo, I attended Tiffcom, which is a showcase for content, such as film, television programs, anime, and music. I met with many different stations and production companies, all interested in having their shows air in Hawaii on KIKU. There are not just a wide variety of titles to choose from, there are also a wide variety of genres to choose from: dramas, documentaries, news, anime, and even old legacy programs like Lone Wolf With a Child.

As a child, I remember going to the theatre to see movies like Lone Wolf With a Child and Zatoichi. How nostalgic would it be to bring back old programs like these? Which got me wondering, am I the only one who feels this way? Would other people like to see old legacy programs too?

So I’m asking for your feedback. What do you want to see? Do you want us to continue to focus on modern dramas like Doctor X and our Wednesday Mystery Theatre? Do you like the variety shows, like Cocorico, Dotchi, and Japan’s Local Secrets? Are you a fan of the taiga drama? Are you interested in seeing some of the old programs, like Lone Wolf With a Child?

Your input would help us as we plan our 2014 so I look forward to hearing from you.

Ja, ne!

185 Responses to What Do You Want To See?

1. Gerald says:

Yagyu Ichizoku no Inbo, not the movie but the series, unless both.

Kage no Gundan I, again, not the movie but the series, unless both.

• Maiko says:

Not only drama series and movies of Yagyu Jubei, and also Animation series were popular in Japan. We shall check possibilities for getting license of those.

2. Rod says:

I would like to see the Miyamoto Musashi series from 1984. While older than the series which ran in 2003 I enjoyed the portrayal of Musashi better from that year.
    This brings back a lot of memories when my Mom and I used to watch the weekly dramas and samurai shows on KIKU.

• Maiko says:

Many people like Miyamoto Musashi series!! Japanese TV stations produce new ones every once in a while. We might bring them if we find good ones.

3. Ken miyake says:

I want to see a new doctors 4…from doctors the ultimate surgeon

• kim says:

Beauty and the Fellow was the best.Will it ever be re-telecasted or any possibility for a sequel?

• Maiko says:

We will re-telecast it again in the future. Although NHK hasn’t produce the sequel so far, we would bring it if they make.

4. Michael says:

I hope KIKU is planning to air Hanayome Noren 3 and 4 following the second season.

May I ask why KIKU is airing 30 year old episodes of Soko Ga Shitai , Kuku kuru and the like? Aren’t there more recent episodes or is this all there is? I find watching them as interesting as watching the infomercials after 10PM and you know I don’t watch infomercials

Yes, we plan to continue airing Behind the Noren after season 2.

Unfortunately, Soko ga Shiritai is no longer in production. We have tried for years to find a similar type of food/travel program to replace Soko, but everything available is at least ten times its cost. We created Kuru Kuru Japan to bring new food/travel programming to our viewers, and all of these episodes are new, having been produced within the last three to five years.

Finding fresh, new food and travel shows is a priority.

5. Greg says:

FWIW still rooting for DOTCHI to make a comeback! Need more foodie programs!

We had planned on starting Dotchi back up in May, but the network in Japan couldn’t clear the program rights in time. Look for Dotchi to come back around October/November.

6. R Hashimoto says:

I would like to see a re-telecast of Doctor X 3 and I really would like to see Doctor X 4. Will you be showing these? Thank you

Doctor X 3 will be broadcast Sundays at 9pm starting July 17. There is no word yet about a Doctor X 4, but if there is, we’ll get it!

7. AtoZ says:

Loved Takei Emi in Truth of Zero! Didn’t know she was also Nao in Asuko March since they are like total opposites haha. But anyway, seems like she had another drama that was finished recently? I believe it’s called Fragile. Are there any plans in airing that drama too? I, for one, would watch it if you did!

• Maiko says:

On KIKU, Emi Takei was in the “Age Harassment” which was aired between January-March 2016. Unfortunately We don’t have any plan to air “Fragile” for now.

8. S. Harada says:

Any chance of replaying Princess Go?

9. otaku says:

KIKU used to show Crayon Shinchan and tried to show anime via the FUNImation Channel in two separate hour blocks a while ago. What is the possible likehood KIKU will show anime again?

• Maiko says:

We might show anime in the future if we have chance, but we are not sure about that for now. Sorry.

• Asa says:

Hi. I was just wondering, there’s a show I wanted to look up on the internet because I wasn’t able to catch it, but I forgot the name, and I can’t find it on the website. It’s about the police academy in Japan, and how one grumpy instructor must train the rambunctious students. Does anybody know what that’s called? Thanks.

We aired a show titled The Sun Also Rises starring Koichi Sato in March 2012. It had a similar storyline, so I think this is the show you’re referring to.

10. Masao says:

A while back you broadcasted twice a show titled, “To Be With You” (Ima, Ai Ni Yukimasu). What are the chances of you broadcasting the show again?
    I believe it was a made for television version of the feature film of the same name.

You have a good memory. We aired Be With You from April to June in 2007. We do not have the license rights to air this program again. Sorry.

11. Andy says:

Our entire family LOVES “High School Chorus.” Programs like that are a great way to attract younger viewers. Thank you for showing it, and hopefully there will be more high quality youth-oriented shows in the future.

Glad you like High School Chorus. We have aired other youth/school-oriented shows in the past, such as Tumbling and Rookies. We’ll continue to look out for other high quality series such as these.

12. Lee Ann says:

We would like to see Cocorico air again! My husband and I loved watching the show! It was our absolute favorite! 🙂

We liked Cocorico, too, but since it is no longer in production, we are looking for other game shows that are available for licensing.

• Lee Ann says:

What do you think are the possibilities of re-running the episodes of Cocorico that you folks had aired before? Also, is Cocorico called something else in Japan? Is there a different name for this game show?

Since our license term expired, we are not allowed to re-run Cocorico. The show is called by the same name in Japan, but is no longer in production. It came from TV Asahi.

13. Steve H. says:

We love Partners! Can hardly wait for season 12. But we only discovered Partners in Season 10 and wish we had not missed all the prior seasons. The writing and character development is really smart, top notch. Any chance you can secure the Partners/Aibou movies?

The new Taiga Drama, Sanada Maru is also looking good. We like the touch of humor.

• Maiko Omura says:

New “Partners 12” is coming soon in this year!! Basically we just bring TV shows, because the right/license of movies is different from TV show’s. “Sanada Maru” is continuous to 2017!!

14. Peter says:

I tuned in at Saturday, 7pm hoping to see Partners. Did the series end?
    There is another program I would love to see. I can not remember title. It involved a special created police team. Their mission was not to kill dangerous people but to safely capture them. One of the team, was a boxer. He punched through the wall and knocked out a kidnapper. The police snipper was upset because he wanted to kill the kidnapper. This started on KIKU and ended without continuation to story. Really good show.
    Thank you!

• Maiko Omura says:

Yes, Partners 10 was ended on 2/27. Another show you mentioned is “The Last Policeman”. We are glad you enjoyed those drama:-)

15. Kamani Ancheta says:

Really enjoyed Dr.X 1,2,and3. Do you think that they will make a season 4?

16. Kattak says:

Abarenbo Shogun was the best series. It appeals to Japanese speakers and also Non-Japanese speaking audiences (with english subtitles). I’ve been trying to find the series on DVD for my sons who are learning the language and would find it both entertaining and good practice. Or, please restart it on your station.

I sympathize with you. It’s difficult to find legally produced Japanese dramas with English subtitles on DVD. We no longer have the rights to air this program on KIKU.

17. kai says:

Would like to see the downtown group on gaki no tsukai …. I would pay for a osaka channel

18. Wayne Yoshioka says:

What happened to the Doctor’s segment last night? It ended half way through the program. Your schedule did say that it would run only from 9 – 10 pm, but I thought that was a misprint in the program. I didn’t think the program would end abruptly and not finish.

We are airing this Doctors special over two Sundays: 1/31 and 2/7. So the second half of the special will air this coming Sunday at 9pm.

19. fran says:

Notice the short explanation after each episode regarding the Taiga Dorama is no longer shown.
    In Japan, it is still shown!
    Why is KIKU no longer showing it?
    The Naruhodo in no way replaces the value!

It’s not our choice. We wish we could air the short segment that follows each Taiga drama episode, too. NHK no longer clears the rights to air this outside Japan.

20. Richard Shiotsugu says:

I want to see the old “Blind Samurai” series. I think many people would enjoy that. I think the name was “Satoichi” or something like that. I wouldn’t mind buying DVD’s of Satoichi” series.

We’ve searched for this show before. Because it’s old, it was hard to find and the quality was not great. Maybe they have re-mastered it. We’ll look again.

21. Karin says:

More programs like “Partners”, “Mystery Theater” or similar programs. Maybe some of the older programs too, might be fun, like Jubei or can’t remember the name of the story, but he was traveling to the castle to be placed on the throne, but would sneak out to help people along the way, and had an actor to play his part while he was getting to know the people of his land.

We actually air quite a few programs in the detective genre. Currently, there is The Interrogator on Monday nights at 9pm. And starting this Thursday, please be sure to watch the first episode of Homicide Team 9 at 8pm. This series stars Tsunehiko Watari, who many KIKU viewers already know from the popular Omiya-san series, and is about a new division within the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department created to solve violent crimes. The division is headed by quirky Rintako Kano. All six of his detectives also have distinct, unique personalities. Yet, this disjointed team works together to solve complicated crimes.

22. Grant says:

There was a series in the late 50’s or 60’s called Kaze Kozo. I liked Kimpachi Sensei series and saw about the last two series. Any chance of the early series coming back again?

Those were popular when they first aired. The difficulty is that even if KIKU aired them before, our rights to air the program have long passed, so we would need to go through the licensing, translating, and subtitling process all over again. Not impossible, but difficult and expensive.

23. Pam Vee says:

Is there another season of Women of the Onsen?? Please get it for us (-^-)

24. Tricia says:

I just moved home to Hawaii after living in Japan for seven and a half years. I’m so glad you’ve picked up Himitsu no Kenmin Show as I watch it every week! Would love to see more of the newer dramas like the getsu9 or Saturday night dramas as well as game shows like VS Arashi, NEP League.

25. Richard Sanchez says:

Been looking to buy or record the whole series of the excellent “Women of the Shogunate” that aired around 2005?. Please tell me there’s a chance this will air next year – it was great.

Oh, please give me time to look into this show. Will get back to you shortly.

• Richard says:

Looking back, the series named above may have been aired bef. 2000. All i can remember is that either after or before, Abarenbo Shogun also aired – I sincerely hope you can find some info.

26. Linda Takeuchi says:

How a bout enka musical programs and the Red & White competition during the new year?

Hi Linda, we air Kohaku (Red and White competition) every year on January 1 from 5-10pm, and plan to air it again this coming New Year’s night. We will also re-air it the following day (Saturday, 1/2/16), from 11am-4pm.

27. Karen Laborte says:

I love the taiga dramas. O look forward to watching them every year. I also love the NewYear and Autumn specials. My favoriite drama of all time was a remake of the old drama, Bamboo Doll of Echizen. I wish you could locate this remake and air this particular show again.

28. Kyle says:

I watch Kiku-TV in HIlo. Has there been a change in signal strength of Kiku-TV? Kiku-TV hasn’t had good resolution since Thursday, October 8. The shows have light, pixelated lines.

Hi Kyle, thanks for your note and sorry for the delay replying. We installed new software on our server last Thursday and apparently, this affected our video. The software company was finally able to work on resolving the problems this morning so video should be good. Please let me know if you don’t see a difference. Thank you.

29. For my mom’s convenience, would like to see the Japanese drama shows to be aired at 7PM instead of at 8PM. And get rid of Soko Ga Shiritai because it’s all repeats from long ago and nothing new. Also, are there any more new Filipino dramas upcoming?

Thank you for your comment about Soko. It’s something we think about ALL THE TIME. Trying to find the right solution, so please be patient and know this is something we want to solve, too.

A new Filipino drama just began airing this past Sunday. Did you catch it? It is titled Chasing Moments. If you missed it on Sunday, the first episode replays today and Friday at 3pm.

30. Norm says:

I would love to see the Aoi samurai drama again. Also the oldies – any Lone Wolf, Zatoichi, Tangesazen or obake movies. Did you ever do a study of how many people would actually watch the old samurai movies?

There are people who request old samurai dramas now and then. We have considered getting some of the oldies like Lone Wolf and Zatoichi in the past. There is a programming convention in Tokyo in October and we’ll look into those oldies while we are there.

31. Kelly says:

I don’t think there’s a Japanese title for The Last Cop. It’s not the same show as the Last Policeman though. The main actor for The Last Cop is Toshiaki Karasawa. While pursuing criminals, he gets into an explosion accident and goes into a coma for 30 years. When he awakens, he has to catch up with the changed values, technology, etc. It’s a short 5 episode series and is described as detective/comedy.

32. Dan says:

I’d like to see Kumokiri Nizaemon, Season 2 that recently aired in Japan with Kiichi Nakai as Kumokiri Nizaemon. He’s the samurai who turned into a great thief that doesn’t kill or injure anyone in his burglaries. I think, but not too sure, that he’s the thief who successfully emptied out the treasury in Edo Castle for his last job before retirement.

33. Kelly says:

The Japanese title for SP: Security Police is Keishicho Keibi-bu Keigo-ka Daiyon-gakari. The main stars are Junichi Okada and Shinichi Tsutsumi. It looks like Junichi Okada acquires special abilities from a traumatic experience when he was a child. I saw a short preview of it and it looked like an action/suspense/comedy series.

The shows you asked about (SP and The Last Cop) are both from NTV. Unfortunately, we are not able to license programs from NTV at this time. Sorry.

34. Kyle Sasahara says:

I like the modern series with young cast like the “Hataraki man”, “Kurosagi”, (the high school baseball team), etc. I learn a lot of modern words. i also like the samurai series “Kenkaku Shobai”. They had three different young men play Akiyama, Kohei’s son. The show demonstrated good virtues that we could all learn from. How about dramas like “Last Present” with Amami Yuki?

35. Kelly says:

I’d also like to see the detective series The Last Cop (aired this past summer in Japan) and SP: Security Police (aired in 2007-2008) with Junichi Okada that was in Strategist Kanbe.

KIKU aired a series titled “The Last Policeman” this past summer. It was from TBS and the Japanese title is S Saigo no Keikan. Is this different from the series you are referring to?

36. Kelly says:

I would like to see Take Five – Should We Steal for Love?

37. Tiffanie says:

Recently on a trip
    To Japan, I saw a new season of “Women of the Onsen” (English title). Please repeat series and new season. Thank you!

38. TKK says:

I would like to see more samurai shows, i.e. Shogun, Mission to Kill, Zatoichi, Zenigata, Lone Wolfe.

39. Greg says:

DOTCH, particularly the early season episodes with the simple format.

#WANT

Thank you for your feedback. We’ve been talking to the producers of Dotchi, but don’t have any definitive plans yet.

40. GISELA MCGUIRE says:

HI….IS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT TENCHIJIN WILL AIR AGAIN? I LOVE LOVE LOVE ALL THE OLD TAIGA DRAMAS……KIKU…..MY FAVORITE STATION.

Sorry, we will not be airing Tenchijin again. Hope you are enjoying this year’s Taiga drama, Hanamoyu. It will end in January 2016, and next year’s Taiga drama, Sanada Maru, will begin in February.

41. Evan says:

Love watching Taiga dramas. Gunshin Kanbe was by far the best taiga of recent years. Would love to as much jidaigeki and samurai content as possible. To be honest, not too big of a fan of crime/legal dramas. If there was one non-period show that really captivated me, it’d have to be “1 Litre of Tears” from the early 2000’s.

Thank you for your comments about the types of shows you like. If you didn’t see Oyaji Samurai the first time around, I highly recommend you watch this. We will begin re-airing this next Sunday, 9/27, a 8pm. And don’t forget to watch the Mission to Kill special tomorrow night (Friday, 9/18), from 8-10pm!

42. Roy T. Murakami says:

My family and I have looked forward these past weeks to watching “Doctors” since its inception on KIKU. We were saddened to learn that this week’s episode (09/07/2015) was the last in the series. Will there be another season of this series? We all hope there’s more.

Haven’t heard if they are making a Doctors 3 yet, but when a series is popular, the producers usually continue. If they make a Doctors 3, we will air it! Please watch Doctor X #3 starting next Monday, 9/21!

Doctors 3 is coming! We will air this in the early part of 2016.

43. Kipo Chinen says:

Would love to see Abarenbo Shogun and Mito Komon again. Missed the final of the Abarenbo Shogun

44. ry says:

It would be great to have KIKU air “Lone Wolf With a Child” and “Zatoichi” movies/series.
    I remember when brief stay Camp Zama 1974-75 Japan TV aired “Lone Wolf…” series with a cute Kid (Cha) and the cool cart. During VHS movie rental days (90’s) only found darker (I don’t think same Kid) movie.
    I also would LOVE to see Abarendo Shogun or rather more Samurai genres (e.g. Ninga III, Oyaji Samurai, Sensitive Samurai, etc.) programs. It will be great to have consistent airing time (now Samurai Tuesday?) and weekend re-airing.

We have considered licensing those old classics (Lone Wolf and Zatoichi), but movies are treated differently from series in the licensing process, which is why you haven’t seen them on KIKU yet. We’ll keep trying.

We finished airing the entire Abarenbo Shogun series back in 2008 (on Tuesday nights), and since then, we have tried to keep Tuesday night as our Samurai night. Samurai dramas that have already aired on Tuesday nights (following the Taiga drama) are Sensitive Samurai, Mito Komon, Mission to Kill, Nina Sarutobi III, and, most recently, Oyaji Samurai, and Toyama no Kinsan. By the way, the final episode of Toyama no Kinsan airs tomorrow night, 7/14, and the week after, another samurai drama — Zenigata Heiji — will begin on 7/21.

45. Eunice says:

Love Soko Ga Shiritai …Wondering what happened to the girl that was on the show …. Also love all your Detective shows look forward to watching them …. Fat Detective .Partners 11 (my favorite) The Last Policeman .Mystery Theatre .. another favorite 🙂

46. Kathleen Y. says:

I miss watching Mission to Kill! It was me and my co- worker’s favorite show! I also miss watching Cocoriko too! I do not care for a lot of the new drama shows on right now. I only like Kin-San and the Japan local secrets shows.

Hi Kathleen, we have a week of special programs coming up in September (the week of September 14th), and one of the shows is a Mission to Kill special! Since you like Toyama no Kinsan, I think you might also like Zenigata Heiji, which will begin on July 21st. In this drama, Heiji’s gimmick for revealing his identity is to throw coins at criminals.

47. Gail says:

I think any series with Mana Ashida would be wonderful. She’s such a talented and expressive 12 year old. And, to think she reads 60 books a month.

48. Tweety says:

I enjoyed old Japanese samurai series . I really enjoyed the Abarenbo Shogun, Zatoichi, Lone Wolf, etc. Is it possible to show them again?

49. Peter says:

I really enjoy programming on Kiku. Always loved Partners and Dr X. There a few good old movies detective and comedy that also were a nice surprise.
    Thank you!

50. greg says:

I would like to see more Saikyou no Mei-i and Partners. Also Doubles was really good. Any plans to repeat “Doctors” or Doubles? Looking forward to a new season of Partners.

51. miniboo says:

I love MISSION TO KILL.
    So,there’s no more? Please,Please air it again!!!

52. Paul says:

I would like to see One Boyfriend Down and Brother Beat.

53. Phil Chun says:

I enjoyed the show about a doctor who is transforming a mediocre hospital into a great one. What happened to the show?

54. branden says:

Please re air Dotchi!

55. Tory says:

I like humerous Detective shows like Retired Detective.

56. Dave says:

I really liked Fat Detective, I think it was my favorite show this entire year on any channel. I am currently enjoying Apoyan. Over the years my favorites on KIKU were Hagure Keiji, Musashi, and of course Kikaida. My wife and I watch Soko Ga Shiritai everynight. We both like modern Japanese comedy dramas, and would like to see more of these, and would really like to see Saturday night from 7-9 (or 8-10) be recent Japanese comedy movie night, instead of repeating Friday night’s programs. I mention modern comedies because Japan has such a wide array of styles in movies and TV, but there is such a focus in the US on historical pieces and dramas. Either way mahalo and keep bringing us good programming!

57. Randall says:

Sorry for commenting so many times. I liked last year’s New Year Samurai special about when the last survivor of family that was murdered during the Boshin War takes revenge decades later during the Meiji Era. It would be good to see old samurai movies like Zatoichi, Rashomon, and the Seven Samurai. There was one samurai film (I can’t remember the title) where a Lord was smuggled past a border checkpoint pretending to be a servant. There was a commoner who accompanied the Lord. He acted like a kind of imbecile.

58. Randall says:

When we were kids we used to watch Televi Digest on Sunday mornings with Barbara Kim I think. They used to have news from Japan with English subtitles, local japanese cooking demonstrations, and of course “Kaze Kozo.” I remember watching news coverage of Emperor Akihito’s wedding in 1959. The Kaze Kozo films must be gone by now. But something similiar to what Televi Digest used to do on Sunday mornings would be interesting. Also, a lot of people are wondering about the special “Big Daddy.” They want to know how the family is doing currently.

59. Randall says:

I like historical dramas like Ryomaden, Shisengumi, Atsuhime, and Yae no Sakura. They show what led up to World War II. Hope someday they can have a Taiga Drama on Admiral Togo or General Nogi, or Admiral Yamamoto.

60. Dale Payson says:

Aloha, I’ve enjoyed KIKU over the years, but am not currently watching a series. I watched Wataru Seken Wa Oni Bakari (making it through) for almost the entire 20 years. This is a long shot I’m sure, but I think it would be great if they could re-air it from the beginning and maybe attract another entire generation to that excellent show! Thanks for your super programming, and I look forward to finding (from the beginning) another similar series!!

Several people have suggested we re-air the entire series. We think it’s a great idea and would love to do this, but it’s not that simple. We no longer have the shows in house and even if we did, we no longer have the rights to air them. We would have to start from scratch and re-negotiate new licensing agreements. Then, we’d need to translate and subtitle all of the episodes all over again. It’s such a huge undertaking that we’ve been satisfying our Making It Through cravings instead with airing the special episodes the producers have been making since the series ended. The latest special episodes will be airing next month, in February.

61. Chiemi Honda says:

The old Hagure Keiji episodes! Or the Kinpachi Sensei! Onsen… all the older ones are good! You know, the ones that weren’t aired last month….

The way the licensing process works is there are specific dates (term period) when we can air a program. Even if we aired a program before, once a term period is up, we cannot air it again. So all of those great legacy programs you mentioned — Hagure Keiji, Kinpachi Sensei, Women of the Onsen, and more — are past their legal term periods so we cannot air them again unless we renegotiate a new agreement.

62. GSP says:

I think people would really like Koshonin (The Negotiator) and Mr. Brain. Ryoko Yonekura & Kimura Takuya tend to be in good series.

63. Bob Maruyama says:

Can you rebroadcast a movie series that aired coupla years ago regarding Japanese internment during WWII? It dealt with a Japanese farm family in Washington state that lost their property during the internment. I believe the title included “99…”
    Thank you.

The program you are referring to is “Japanese Americans, 99 Years of Love”. I believe NGN plans to air this program sometime during New Year’s week.

64. gina says:

Dr X was my favorite – what happened to it?

The episode that aired on Monday, November 26th was the last episode. It may have been a little disappointing because it ended a little abruptly. But that’s how Doctor X’s personality is, so the ending fitted her perfectly.

65. greg says:

I’d love to see the new season of Partners 10. Also, any chance of airing the Partners movie (set during the Tokyo Marathon)? Don’t like Docoga TV but love Soko ga shiritai. Lone Wolf with Child would certainly bring back memories, but I’d LOVE to see the old episodes of “Hotel”. Ookini!

We plan on airing Partners 10 in April. I think you’ll like Apoyan, which begins airing on Sunday December 22nd, at 9pm. It’s sort of like Hotel.

66. Ray says:

I did not care for Yae no Sakura. But I will try to catch the next Taiga drama. Tonight’s Soko ga Shiritai was really good and I stuck around after to watch my first Mystery Theater which I really enjoyed. It was weird how I saw a daifuku maker on Soko ga Shiritai then later it was a daifuku that helped solve the case. I think I’ll be watching these 2 programs for now.

The Taiga dramas last for almost an entire year. Please watch the next one from the start. I think you will be hooked and find yourself waiting for each week’s episode. (The next Taiga drama is about Gunshi Kanbei, a strategist under Hideyoshi Toyotomi.)

67. GSP says:

I really, really liked Doctor X, Musashi, Glass Slipper, Akimahende, Love & Peace, Night King, Concerto, Abarenbo Shogun, Toyama no Kinsan, Konishiki & Kirishima(?) RV tour special, O Hitori Sama, 3 Swordsmen, Seizetsu! Yome Shuuto Senso Rasetsu no Ie (The Curse), Mukashi no Otoko, One Boyfriend Down, Aoi Tori.

68. Geri says:

I love mystery dramas and Partners is my favorite, so I’m happy to hear that you’ll be airing Partners 10 next year. I would even be happy to see reruns of the older seasons with Kaoru as Ukyo’s partner.

I’d also love to see more Mitsuhiko Asami episodes. Also, someone mentioned Investigator Mariko (Kasoken no Onna) in the comments–I remember watching the first 2 or 3 seasons on KIKU and really enjoying them, and if possible, I would love to see the later seasons that aired in Japan. And also Seasons 2 and 3 of Crime Scene Investigators (Iryu Sosa).

I also love Samurai dramas, and would love to see more Mito Komon and/or Abarenbo Shogun.

For variety shows, I’d love to see more Dotchi and Japan’s Local Secrets.

We are always on the lookout for more in the Asami series! And Mito Komon will be back in 2014. Thanks for your feedback.

69. Ray says:

So that’s Cocorico. I watched that one too.

70. Clyde Okinaka says:

We are planning a trip in Feb. 2014 to Fukuoka and Hiroshima. I was wondering if Soko Ga Shiritai will be airing anything on these two cities. If so could you let me know when it will be airing. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
    C. Okinaka

Sorry, but we don’t have the episodes classified by content so I can’t pinpoint if those two cities are featured in upcoming episodes. Please keep watching Soko ga Shiritai in case they are.

I can also tell you that we will be airing a new Soko ga Shiritai-like program produced by Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) during our week of New Year’s specials. (TBS is the network in Japan that produced Soko ga Shiritai.) It is titled Sore ga Shiritai. Please watch this, too!

71. Malina says:

I really loved Abarenbo Shogun as well…I would like to see that again. I didn’t care for Lone Wolf at all. Love the variety shows, taiga dramas, family based shows. I have been watching KIKU since my high school days…a looong time ago. I am thrilled you are looking into new programming! Hope new Partners shows are coming up. I think Japan is a couple of seasons ahead of us? Please keep the upgrades coming!

Thank you for supporting KIKU for so many years. The new Partners series (#10) should begin in April, 2014. Before that, we will re-air Partners 9 starting this Thursday, 11/28, at 9pm. We are planning to air another drama about a detective partner team starting the end of January. Please keep watching for more news about that.

72. Aiko says:

i always loved watching mystery theater. among the episodes there was a series i liked one was about a man the is a writer of some sorts but he also solves mysteries. his older brother is part of the police.
    the other one i wanted to know about is also part of mystery theater. it was about a lady that was with a medical rescue unit. i think it is said something Minato.
    sorry if this is too much and thank you.

I think the Mystery Theatre series you are talking about is the Asami series. And I think the female medical investigator series you are talking about was Investigator Mariko. (This was not a Mystery Theatre series.)

73. Ray says:

I haven’t watched a while but I will if I see something that I like. More samurai movies like the one that starts with the guy on the top of a hill? Sorry I can’t remember the name. I also found myself liking comedies like the pretend wife.

Hi Ray, thanks for your comments. Maybe the samurai show you’re talking about is Abarenbo Shogun, about the shogun who travels the land incognito? Does that sound familiar?

This is a little early, but I wanted to let you know that we have a number of samurai programs coming up in a couple of months. Please keep watching for news about them.

• Ray says:

Hi,

No it is not Abarenbo Shogun. But AB and Toyama no Kinsan were favorites that I had watched a lot.

The samurai series I mentioned earlier always started with the guy standing on the top of a hill over looking some really nice scenery.

I also remember watching a samurai who could fly among the clouds. I have been trying to find out who it may be. It could be about the time of Tange Sazen. This something else that I have been looking for. Any ideas?

• Ray says:

Okay I found out the name of the series was Tenchijin.

Oh, Tenchijin was a Taiga drama. It aired in 2009, and was the 48th Taiga drama. (The current Taiga drama, Yae no Sakura, is #52.) FYI, next year’s Taiga drama is Gunshi Kanbee, about a strategist for Hideyoshi Toyotomi. We will begin airing this in February, 2014.

• Ray says:

I saw Yae no Sakura on your schedule and am planning on watching it tomorrow. This is why I came to your site. I was hoping to find something to watch as I do not watch cable programs. Just the local stations.

Yae no Sakura is our Taiga drama. It is a year-long historical drama produced by NHK, which is the PBS of Japan. Each year, the Taiga drama features the life of a different figure in history. The episode that airs tonight is #43 of 50 total episodes.

74. Steve S. says:

I would like to see 26 Hours/day again. I also enjoy the NHK Taiga Dramas, Mito Komon, Mystery Theater, Soko Ga Shiritai, Doco Ga TV, Fat Detective, and Partners. The cartoon cat, Chi, might be good in the afternoon or weekend mornings for kids or those wanting to learn Japanese.

Thank you for your input. We liked 26 Hours a Day, too, and licensed all the shows they produced. We are waiting for them to produce more.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already sampled Japan’s Local Secrets on Friday nights, please take a look.

Did you watch Ultraman when you were younger?

75. Michael Dahlberg says:

Pre-empting Venetia in Kyoto with Lunch On is a big disappointment as the former is a far better series. The Taiga dramas should continue along with Partners and more mysteries. Mahalo

Venetia in Kyoto has never aired on KIKU. I think this airs on NHK World, which is not on KIKU. Too bad, because I like the show, too. Thank you for your feedback on the Taiga drama, Partners and mysteries.

76. B Johnsen says:

I , too, like modern mysteries, detective series, dramas, and comedies. I’ve also liked some of the costume series, especially mito komon, and some, but not all, of the taiga dramas. I’d like to see both modern and classic movies, too.

Sorry, I really don’t like the variety shows.

I’m not familiar with the legacy programs, unless you’re talking about things like You Like it Hot and Women of the Onsen, which I thought were great. I’ve never heard of Lone Wolf with Child.

I’m OK with one rerun of a Mystery Theater show, but the third and fourth times are REALLY annoying. And couldn’t the reruns be alternated with new shows, so we didn’t have to watch an entire season of reruns?

Kiku’s the only TV I watch, so I’m happy that you’re working on fresh programming for us! Thank you.

This Thursday, we begin a new series called Mr. Son-in-Law. If you liked Family Court or Retired Detective, you’ll like this show, too.

We are also finalizing plans for our New Year’s specials. Stay tuned for more news on that.

Thanks, for making KIKU your station of ice!

77. phyllis t says:

Help! Dr. X has been preempted on Nov. 11. When will we get to see that episode?
    I am watching programs on Kiku almost daily now-just discovered this wonderful channel recently!!

78. wyt says:

More samurai shows and mystery theater

79. Jennifer says:

I love all the variety shows bc after a long hard day, all i wanna do is watch things that make me light hearted & laugh. Newer eps of cocorico, unseen eps of dotchi, & even some competitions. Me & hubby got hooked on KIKU years back when our friday nights were filled with cheering on & laughing at Champions of
    Fire & Happy Family Plan. Seeing those types of fun-filled variety shows/competitions would really make our day again =D

Thank you for your feedback. Have you watched Japan’s Local Secrets? It’s not a competition, but it is light hearted and informative. We’ll be on the lookout for other fun competition shows.

• Jennifer says:

Yes, Im actually watching it right now and its actually really good. I just got cable back recently & just found out about this show a few days ago, but so far i love it. Especially since it has some of my favs from many of the older variety shows Ive watched on KIKU…like the older one with the thick rimmed glasses! I swear, she ends up on Every variety show in Japan XD

80. Francis Natori says:

If we could get new episodes of Mystery Theater(not reruns), I would appreciate it. Modern mystery shows, dramas and detective series, comedy would be enjoyable. Food and shows such as Soko are always good, and Kimpachi Sensei was great. I enjoyed Fat Detective and enjoy Dr. X.

We rerun the Mystery Theatre titles because our contracts specify two runs for each title. But there will be lots of new titles coming in 2014!

So glad you enjoyed Fat Detective and are liking Doctor X. Thank you for your input!

81. I like to see re-broadcasts of past Taiga Dramas, Tokimune, Yoshitsune, Atsuhime, Making it Through,

We would love to re-air some of the Taiga dramas and Making it Through, and even some other programs we aired before. Unfortunately, we no longer have the rights to do this. Once a contract term is up, we are prohibited from airing a program and must go through a re-licensing process all over again.

82. Csh says:

More samurai shows, updated Mystery Theatre, modern day drama like Midnight Ferris Wheel. The variety show are fun, but too much focus on food! LOL! Can you get Big Daddy again? I noticed on the web that a lot has happened with the family since KIKU last aired this program.

83. Kenneth Nault says:

More Cocorico,Dotchi..Love the Infotainment shows!
    Would be great to see episodes of Kikaida,Rainbow Man,
    Inazuman…etc again.

Another would be the old black & white Classic Obake Movies!

84. deeteedub says:

Dotchi, Japan’s Local Secrets, Partners, Fat Detective, Taiga Drama’s, Mystery Theatre, Mito Komon, jidaigeki and samurai drama’s.

85. Csh says:

I enjoy samurai shows, the taiga dramas, mystery theater ( but you need to get new ones, instead of repeating the same ones ) and the modern dramas like Midnight Ferris Wheel. The Variety a Sows are fun, but too much emphasis on food. LOL! Can you get Big Daddy ? I saw on the website that a lot has happened for that family since KIKU last aired it.

When we license Mystery Theatre titles, they come with two airings, so we have to air them twice.

We asked about Big Daddy when we were in Tokyo and were told they are still making episodes of this show. But the story has evolved from when it first began. We loved how the early Big Daddy shows were about a man raising his children simply and economically. But the later shows focused more on his relationship with his ex-wife. We’re going to screen some of the new episodes and see if they are worth airing. Stay tuned for more on that.

86. Patrick says:

I’d like to see the old Kage no Gundan Series! and I remember seeing a Fuefuki Doji series that aired a while back. Would be nice if some of the older j dramas returned too.

87. Asa says:

Cocorico episodes were they live on $100 a month

We liked Cocorico, too. The show is no longer in production, but we’ll take a look at licensing episodes we didn’t air yet.

• Kenneth Nault says:

Sad to hear that Cocorico is no longer,That would great if you can get ahold of the many other episodes.
        Taka & Toshi were guest on many of them,Love these guys!..