What Do You Want To See?

When I was in Tokyo, I attended Tiffcom, which is a showcase for content, such as film, television programs, anime, and music. I met with many different stations and production companies, all interested in having their shows air in Hawaii on KIKU. There are not just a wide variety of titles to choose from, there are also a wide variety of genres to choose from: dramas, documentaries, news, anime, and even old legacy programs like Lone Wolf With a Child.

As a child, I remember going to the theatre to see movies like Lone Wolf With a Child and Zatoichi. How nostalgic would it be to bring back old programs like these? Which got me wondering, am I the only one who feels this way? Would other people like to see old legacy programs too?

So I’m asking for your feedback. What do you want to see? Do you want us to continue to focus on modern dramas like Doctor X and our Wednesday Mystery Theatre? Do you like the variety shows, like Cocorico, Dotchi, and Japan’s Local Secrets? Are you a fan of the taiga drama? Are you interested in seeing some of the old programs, like Lone Wolf With a Child?

Your input would help us as we plan our 2014 so I look forward to hearing from you.

Ja, ne!

m4s0n501

72 Responses to What Do You Want To See?

1. branden says:

Please re air Dotchi!

2. Tory says:

I like humerous Detective shows like Retired Detective.

3. Dave says:

I really liked Fat Detective, I think it was my favorite show this entire year on any channel. I am currently enjoying Apoyan. Over the years my favorites on KIKU were Hagure Keiji, Musashi, and of course Kikaida. My wife and I watch Soko Ga Shiritai everynight. We both like modern Japanese comedy dramas, and would like to see more of these, and would really like to see Saturday night from 7-9 (or 8-10) be recent Japanese comedy movie night, instead of repeating Friday night’s programs. I mention modern comedies because Japan has such a wide array of styles in movies and TV, but there is such a focus in the US on historical pieces and dramas. Either way mahalo and keep bringing us good programming!

4. Randall says:

Sorry for commenting so many times. I liked last year’s New Year Samurai special about when the last survivor of family that was murdered during the Boshin War takes revenge decades later during the Meiji Era. It would be good to see old samurai movies like Zatoichi, Rashomon, and the Seven Samurai. There was one samurai film (I can’t remember the title) where a Lord was smuggled past a border checkpoint pretending to be a servant. There was a commoner who accompanied the Lord. He acted like a kind of imbecile.

5. Randall says:

When we were kids we used to watch Televi Digest on Sunday mornings with Barbara Kim I think. They used to have news from Japan with English subtitles, local japanese cooking demonstrations, and of course “Kaze Kozo.” I remember watching news coverage of Emperor Akihito’s wedding in 1959. The Kaze Kozo films must be gone by now. But something similiar to what Televi Digest used to do on Sunday mornings would be interesting. Also, a lot of people are wondering about the special “Big Daddy.” They want to know how the family is doing currently.

6. Randall says:

I like historical dramas like Ryomaden, Shisengumi, Atsuhime, and Yae no Sakura. They show what led up to World War II. Hope someday they can have a Taiga Drama on Admiral Togo or General Nogi, or Admiral Yamamoto.

7. Dale Payson says:

Aloha, I’ve enjoyed KIKU over the years, but am not currently watching a series. I watched Wataru Seken Wa Oni Bakari (making it through) for almost the entire 20 years. This is a long shot I’m sure, but I think it would be great if they could re-air it from the beginning and maybe attract another entire generation to that excellent show! Thanks for your super programming, and I look forward to finding (from the beginning) another similar series!!

Several people have suggested we re-air the entire series. We think it’s a great idea and would love to do this, but it’s not that simple. We no longer have the shows in house and even if we did, we no longer have the rights to air them. We would have to start from scratch and re-negotiate new licensing agreements. Then, we’d need to translate and subtitle all of the episodes all over again. It’s such a huge undertaking that we’ve been satisfying our Making It Through cravings instead with airing the special episodes the producers have been making since the series ended. The latest special episodes will be airing next month, in February.

8. Chiemi Honda says:

The old Hagure Keiji episodes! Or the Kinpachi Sensei! Onsen… all the older ones are good! You know, the ones that weren’t aired last month….

The way the licensing process works is there are specific dates (term period) when we can air a program. Even if we aired a program before, once a term period is up, we cannot air it again. So all of those great legacy programs you mentioned — Hagure Keiji, Kinpachi Sensei, Women of the Onsen, and more — are past their legal term periods so we cannot air them again unless we renegotiate a new agreement.

9. GSP says:

I think people would really like Koshonin (The Negotiator) and Mr. Brain. Ryoko Yonekura & Kimura Takuya tend to be in good series.

10. Bob Maruyama says:

Can you rebroadcast a movie series that aired coupla years ago regarding Japanese internment during WWII? It dealt with a Japanese farm family in Washington state that lost their property during the internment. I believe the title included “99…”
    Thank you.

The program you are referring to is “Japanese Americans, 99 Years of Love”. I believe NGN plans to air this program sometime during New Year’s week.

11. gina says:

Dr X was my favorite – what happened to it?

The episode that aired on Monday, November 26th was the last episode. It may have been a little disappointing because it ended a little abruptly. But that’s how Doctor X’s personality is, so the ending fitted her perfectly.

12. greg says:

I’d love to see the new season of Partners 10. Also, any chance of airing the Partners movie (set during the Tokyo Marathon)? Don’t like Docoga TV but love Soko ga shiritai. Lone Wolf with Child would certainly bring back memories, but I’d LOVE to see the old episodes of “Hotel”. Ookini!

We plan on airing Partners 10 in April. I think you’ll like Apoyan, which begins airing on Sunday December 22nd, at 9pm. It’s sort of like Hotel.

13. Ray says:

I did not care for Yae no Sakura. But I will try to catch the next Taiga drama. Tonight’s Soko ga Shiritai was really good and I stuck around after to watch my first Mystery Theater which I really enjoyed. It was weird how I saw a daifuku maker on Soko ga Shiritai then later it was a daifuku that helped solve the case. I think I’ll be watching these 2 programs for now.

The Taiga dramas last for almost an entire year. Please watch the next one from the start. I think you will be hooked and find yourself waiting for each week’s episode. (The next Taiga drama is about Gunshi Kanbei, a strategist under Hideyoshi Toyotomi.)

14. GSP says:

I really, really liked Doctor X, Musashi, Glass Slipper, Akimahende, Love & Peace, Night King, Concerto, Abarenbo Shogun, Toyama no Kinsan, Konishiki & Kirishima(?) RV tour special, O Hitori Sama, 3 Swordsmen, Seizetsu! Yome Shuuto Senso Rasetsu no Ie (The Curse), Mukashi no Otoko, One Boyfriend Down, Aoi Tori.

15. Geri says:

I love mystery dramas and Partners is my favorite, so I’m happy to hear that you’ll be airing Partners 10 next year. I would even be happy to see reruns of the older seasons with Kaoru as Ukyo’s partner.

I’d also love to see more Mitsuhiko Asami episodes. Also, someone mentioned Investigator Mariko (Kasoken no Onna) in the comments–I remember watching the first 2 or 3 seasons on KIKU and really enjoying them, and if possible, I would love to see the later seasons that aired in Japan. And also Seasons 2 and 3 of Crime Scene Investigators (Iryu Sosa).

I also love Samurai dramas, and would love to see more Mito Komon and/or Abarenbo Shogun.

For variety shows, I’d love to see more Dotchi and Japan’s Local Secrets.

We are always on the lookout for more in the Asami series! And Mito Komon will be back in 2014. Thanks for your feedback.

16. Ray says:

So that’s Cocorico. I watched that one too.

17. Clyde Okinaka says:

We are planning a trip in Feb. 2014 to Fukuoka and Hiroshima. I was wondering if Soko Ga Shiritai will be airing anything on these two cities. If so could you let me know when it will be airing. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
    C. Okinaka

Sorry, but we don’t have the episodes classified by content so I can’t pinpoint if those two cities are featured in upcoming episodes. Please keep watching Soko ga Shiritai in case they are.

I can also tell you that we will be airing a new Soko ga Shiritai-like program produced by Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) during our week of New Year’s specials. (TBS is the network in Japan that produced Soko ga Shiritai.) It is titled Sore ga Shiritai. Please watch this, too!

18. Malina says:

I really loved Abarenbo Shogun as well…I would like to see that again. I didn’t care for Lone Wolf at all. Love the variety shows, taiga dramas, family based shows. I have been watching KIKU since my high school days…a looong time ago. I am thrilled you are looking into new programming! Hope new Partners shows are coming up. I think Japan is a couple of seasons ahead of us? Please keep the upgrades coming!

Thank you for supporting KIKU for so many years. The new Partners series (#10) should begin in April, 2014. Before that, we will re-air Partners 9 starting this Thursday, 11/28, at 9pm. We are planning to air another drama about a detective partner team starting the end of January. Please keep watching for more news about that.

19. Aiko says:

i always loved watching mystery theater. among the episodes there was a series i liked one was about a man the is a writer of some sorts but he also solves mysteries. his older brother is part of the police.
    the other one i wanted to know about is also part of mystery theater. it was about a lady that was with a medical rescue unit. i think it is said something Minato.
    sorry if this is too much and thank you.

I think the Mystery Theatre series you are talking about is the Asami series. And I think the female medical investigator series you are talking about was Investigator Mariko. (This was not a Mystery Theatre series.)

20. Ray says:

I haven’t watched a while but I will if I see something that I like. More samurai movies like the one that starts with the guy on the top of a hill? Sorry I can’t remember the name. I also found myself liking comedies like the pretend wife.

Hi Ray, thanks for your comments. Maybe the samurai show you’re talking about is Abarenbo Shogun, about the shogun who travels the land incognito? Does that sound familiar?

This is a little early, but I wanted to let you know that we have a number of samurai programs coming up in a couple of months. Please keep watching for news about them.

• Ray says:

Hi,

No it is not Abarenbo Shogun. But AB and Toyama no Kinsan were favorites that I had watched a lot.

The samurai series I mentioned earlier always started with the guy standing on the top of a hill over looking some really nice scenery.

I also remember watching a samurai who could fly among the clouds. I have been trying to find out who it may be. It could be about the time of Tange Sazen. This something else that I have been looking for. Any ideas?

• Ray says:

Okay I found out the name of the series was Tenchijin.

Oh, Tenchijin was a Taiga drama. It aired in 2009, and was the 48th Taiga drama. (The current Taiga drama, Yae no Sakura, is #52.) FYI, next year’s Taiga drama is Gunshi Kanbee, about a strategist for Hideyoshi Toyotomi. We will begin airing this in February, 2014.

• Ray says:

I saw Yae no Sakura on your schedule and am planning on watching it tomorrow. This is why I came to your site. I was hoping to find something to watch as I do not watch cable programs. Just the local stations.

Yae no Sakura is our Taiga drama. It is a year-long historical drama produced by NHK, which is the PBS of Japan. Each year, the Taiga drama features the life of a different figure in history. The episode that airs tonight is #43 of 50 total episodes.

21. Steve S. says:

I would like to see 26 Hours/day again. I also enjoy the NHK Taiga Dramas, Mito Komon, Mystery Theater, Soko Ga Shiritai, Doco Ga TV, Fat Detective, and Partners. The cartoon cat, Chi, might be good in the afternoon or weekend mornings for kids or those wanting to learn Japanese.

Thank you for your input. We liked 26 Hours a Day, too, and licensed all the shows they produced. We are waiting for them to produce more.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already sampled Japan’s Local Secrets on Friday nights, please take a look.

Did you watch Ultraman when you were younger?

22. Michael Dahlberg says:

Pre-empting Venetia in Kyoto with Lunch On is a big disappointment as the former is a far better series. The Taiga dramas should continue along with Partners and more mysteries. Mahalo

Venetia in Kyoto has never aired on KIKU. I think this airs on NHK World, which is not on KIKU. Too bad, because I like the show, too. Thank you for your feedback on the Taiga drama, Partners and mysteries.

23. B Johnsen says:

I , too, like modern mysteries, detective series, dramas, and comedies. I’ve also liked some of the costume series, especially mito komon, and some, but not all, of the taiga dramas. I’d like to see both modern and classic movies, too.

Sorry, I really don’t like the variety shows.

I’m not familiar with the legacy programs, unless you’re talking about things like You Like it Hot and Women of the Onsen, which I thought were great. I’ve never heard of Lone Wolf with Child.

I’m OK with one rerun of a Mystery Theater show, but the third and fourth times are REALLY annoying. And couldn’t the reruns be alternated with new shows, so we didn’t have to watch an entire season of reruns?

Kiku’s the only TV I watch, so I’m happy that you’re working on fresh programming for us! Thank you.

This Thursday, we begin a new series called Mr. Son-in-Law. If you liked Family Court or Retired Detective, you’ll like this show, too.

We are also finalizing plans for our New Year’s specials. Stay tuned for more news on that.

Thanks, for making KIKU your station of ice!

24. phyllis t says:

Help! Dr. X has been preempted on Nov. 11. When will we get to see that episode?
    I am watching programs on Kiku almost daily now-just discovered this wonderful channel recently!!

25. wyt says:

More samurai shows and mystery theater

26. Jennifer says:

I love all the variety shows bc after a long hard day, all i wanna do is watch things that make me light hearted & laugh. Newer eps of cocorico, unseen eps of dotchi, & even some competitions. Me & hubby got hooked on KIKU years back when our friday nights were filled with cheering on & laughing at Champions of
    Fire & Happy Family Plan. Seeing those types of fun-filled variety shows/competitions would really make our day again =D

Thank you for your feedback. Have you watched Japan’s Local Secrets? It’s not a competition, but it is light hearted and informative. We’ll be on the lookout for other fun competition shows.

• Jennifer says:

Yes, Im actually watching it right now and its actually really good. I just got cable back recently & just found out about this show a few days ago, but so far i love it. Especially since it has some of my favs from many of the older variety shows Ive watched on KIKU…like the older one with the thick rimmed glasses! I swear, she ends up on Every variety show in Japan XD

27. Francis Natori says:

If we could get new episodes of Mystery Theater(not reruns), I would appreciate it. Modern mystery shows, dramas and detective series, comedy would be enjoyable. Food and shows such as Soko are always good, and Kimpachi Sensei was great. I enjoyed Fat Detective and enjoy Dr. X.

We rerun the Mystery Theatre titles because our contracts specify two runs for each title. But there will be lots of new titles coming in 2014!

So glad you enjoyed Fat Detective and are liking Doctor X. Thank you for your input!

28. I like to see re-broadcasts of past Taiga Dramas, Tokimune, Yoshitsune, Atsuhime, Making it Through,

We would love to re-air some of the Taiga dramas and Making it Through, and even some other programs we aired before. Unfortunately, we no longer have the rights to do this. Once a contract term is up, we are prohibited from airing a program and must go through a re-licensing process all over again.

29. Csh says:

More samurai shows, updated Mystery Theatre, modern day drama like Midnight Ferris Wheel. The variety show are fun, but too much focus on food! LOL! Can you get Big Daddy again? I noticed on the web that a lot has happened with the family since KIKU last aired this program.

30. Kenneth Nault says:

More Cocorico,Dotchi..Love the Infotainment shows!
    Would be great to see episodes of Kikaida,Rainbow Man,
    Inazuman…etc again.

Another would be the old black & white Classic Obake Movies!

31. deeteedub says:

Dotchi, Japan’s Local Secrets, Partners, Fat Detective, Taiga Drama’s, Mystery Theatre, Mito Komon, jidaigeki and samurai drama’s.

32. Csh says:

I enjoy samurai shows, the taiga dramas, mystery theater ( but you need to get new ones, instead of repeating the same ones ) and the modern dramas like Midnight Ferris Wheel. The Variety a Sows are fun, but too much emphasis on food. LOL! Can you get Big Daddy ? I saw on the website that a lot has happened for that family since KIKU last aired it.

When we license Mystery Theatre titles, they come with two airings, so we have to air them twice.

We asked about Big Daddy when we were in Tokyo and were told they are still making episodes of this show. But the story has evolved from when it first began. We loved how the early Big Daddy shows were about a man raising his children simply and economically. But the later shows focused more on his relationship with his ex-wife. We’re going to screen some of the new episodes and see if they are worth airing. Stay tuned for more on that.

33. Patrick says:

I’d like to see the old Kage no Gundan Series! and I remember seeing a Fuefuki Doji series that aired a while back. Would be nice if some of the older j dramas returned too.

34. Asa says:

Cocorico episodes were they live on $100 a month

We liked Cocorico, too. The show is no longer in production, but we’ll take a look at licensing episodes we didn’t air yet.

• Kenneth Nault says:

Sad to hear that Cocorico is no longer,That would great if you can get ahold of the many other episodes.
        Taka & Toshi were guest on many of them,Love these guys!..