I’m sad that Oyaji Samurai ended. It was a great series starring Naoto Takenaka as the “drunken” samurai Akame Kotoji. Even thought Akame-san was small in stature, not very handsome, and loved to drink, his sword-fighting ability and the goodness of his character made him very attractive to beautiful women.

Now that Oyaji Samurai is over, get ready for Toyama no Kinsan! This series will bring back many memories for long-time KIKU viewers. The original series was very popular and ran on KIKU for many years. This new remake stars Ken Matsudaira, who will also bring back memories for KIKU viewers. He was the star of Abarenbo Shogun, another very popular series that ran on KIKU for many years.

Kinsan is a magistrate officer who protects the common people and is tough on criminals. Similar to Abarenbo Shogun, he moves through everyday life incognito, until he discovers crime and confronts the offender. Kinsan’s symbol is a tattoo of flowering sakura on his shoulder. When he lowers his kimono and criminals see his tattoo, they confess and the case is closed!

Toyama no Kinsan begins Tuesday, May 19th at 9pm.

Ja, ne!

21 Responses to Sayonara Oyaji Samurai. Okaeri Toyama no Kinsan!

1. Joanna Howard says:

I love Dr. X and all of the characters written for this show..is there a season 4 coming up..My Japan hula sisters were so amazed that I watch Japanese programming. I was born and raised on this stuff, and, I’m pure Hawaiian. My parents always took us to Tohoku and Toyota Theater and I miss those days. Shadow Warriors, Abarenbo Shogun, Toyama No Kinsan, everything To shirt Mifune…dating myself..I would like it if there were more programming instead the 2-3 hours in the evening and the 2 hours daytime. Whatever you do, know you have a faithful watcher Aloha

• Joanna Howard says:

Toho and Toyo Theater..auto correct..sorry

Hi Joanna, thank you for your nice message, which was especially uplifting over the Thanksgiving weekend. Doctor X 3 ended last night and so far, there is no Doctor X 4 on the horizon. If and when it does show up, we will definitely pick it up. On Mondays-Fridays, our Japanese programming is as follows:
      6:30-7:30am – Fuji News
      12N-2pm – Retelecasts of the previous night’s prime programs
      5:30-6:30pm – Fuji News
      6:30-7pm – Kuru Kuru Japan
      7-8pm – Soko ga Shiritai
      8-10pm – Dramas, Movies, Reality

We would love to expand our Japanese programming to more hours in the future.

Please tune in for our New Year’s specials, which will air from January 1 through 7, 2016. There are some great dramas coming up, all to be kicked off by the 66th(!!!) annual Red and White Song Contest.

• Joanna Howard says:

Mahalo so much for your reply….awwww, I really enjoyed Dr X..I sincerely hope there’s a season 4, and that it can be picked up by your station…what about sumo tournaments? I haven’t seen it for awhile..my kids were raised watching our Hawaii wrestlers making their mark on the sumo world. Now, they are sharing what they know, looking it up on YouTube, and teaching the younger children in the house what they know about the sumo world. Will anticipate Season 4, and happily enjoy the rest of your programming. Aloha!

We’re hoping for a fourth season of Doctor X, too! I wish we could air sumo, but it’s on a premium (pay) channel.

2. Al says:

Please play Miyamoto Musashi again. The version that runs to his final days in a cave near Kumamoto.

There are so many versions of Miyamoto Musashi, I’m not sure which one you’re referring to. Was it a long series? Because we did air a Musashi taiga drama in 2003.

• Al says:

Yes, a very long series. It ended with Miyamoto Musashi living in a cave.

• Al says:

Question: who is Oko in Oyaji Samurai? Unusual beauty!

Mayu Tsuruta.

• Alan Okinaka says:

Thanks for Oko’s real name. I have three different videos of Miyamoto Musashi and they all end with the duel on Ganryu Island. The one you aired is the only one that took us to his final days living in that cave near Kumamoto. Hope to visit that cave someday.

I think many of the programs we air generate curiosity and a desire to visit places in Japan. The taiga dramas create interest in historical sites. The food and travel shows generate a desire to sample the culture and foods of different areas. Hope you get a chance to visit the cave near Kumamoto one day.

• Alan Okinaka says:

Agree. Certainly does for me. When I visited my aunt in Iwakuni, a couple of years ago, I searched out the statue of Sasaki Kojiro and identified the wrong one. 🙁 Need to revisit and find the right statue next time.

3. Robin I. says:

I was surprised to see a new Toyama no Kinsan! Its cool that this features the same lead actor as Abarenbo Shogun, Ken Matsudaira. I wished that I noticed this sooner.Aloha.

4. Samurai Fan says:

I didn’t realize you guys started showing this again. I missed the first few episodes will you be airing them again?

It’s not the original Toyama no Kinsan; it’s a remake with Ken Matsudaira in the lead role. It began airing on May 19th, so you may have missed about four episodes. There are a total of nine episodes in the series, with the last episode airing July 14th. After Toyama no Kinsan, we’ll be airing another series about an official who goes undercover to catch criminals. This one is titled Zenigata Heiji. At the moment Heiji confronts criminals, he throws coins at them. Please don’t miss this series!

And yes, we’ll be airing Toyama no Kinsan again sometime in the future. We’ll let you know as soon as we know when.

5. R. Yoshida says:

It has been over a week KIKU been out-of-service on DishNetwork. When do you think service will be restored? Is KIKU aware of interruption of service on DishNetwork and working with DishNetwork?

Yes, we are aware we are off Dish and thank you for your patience. Dish tried to trouble-shoot the problem remotely but could not find the cause and flew an engineer out to Hawaii two days ago. He is working with our engineer to pinpoint where the problem lies. Please hang in there. They are testing and we think they are getting close.

6. R. Yoshida says:

Could you rebroadcast “Oyaji Samurai”, and “Ninja … III”? Missed parts and only discover by chance broadcast.
    Just discover “kikutv.com” but need improving e.g. “Toyama no Kinsan” webpage “not found”. Will like to know broadcast and rebroadcast schedule so don’t miss.

We are planning on re-airing Oyaji Samurai starting October 11th, but Ninja Sarutobi has already aired twice. (The first airing began January 2014 and the second airing began September 2014.) Sorry, but our contract for Ninja Sarutobi was for two runs, so we cannot re-air this program.

We will work on updating our website. Thank you for your patience.