Are you a fan of Jidaigeki?

Recently, we’ve been airing more jidaigeki shows. Do you know jidaigeki? Basically, it refers to a genre of programs usually described as samurai dramas.

A popular series that aired on KIKU for many years — Abarenbo Shogun — was an example of jidaigeki. And the program that just finished airing, Ninja Sarutobi III, was also jidaigeki. We just began airing a new show on Tuesday nights at 9pm, Hidamari no Ki, which is also jidaigeki.

Typically, jidaigeki are historical dramas depicting people living most often in the Edo period. And although I described the genre earlier as samurai dramas, jidaigeki is also about the lives of merchants, farmers, craftsmen, and other everyday people.

On April 4, we will begin another jidaigeki series. This one is called Mission to Kill (Japanese name: Hissatsu Shigotonin). This drama is about assassins who are hired by victims of crime to avenge the crimes committed against them. Hiring an assassin is also a crime, but when you learn about the victims, you come to understand their motivation.

Please watch all our jidaigeki shows and let me know if you’re a fan.

Ja, ne!

m4s0n501

17 Responses to Are you a fan of Jidaigeki?

1. Shigotonin says:

Thank you very much for “Mission to Kill”. Really like this show.
    Just noticed that Mission to Kill Special will be aired in September.
    I know there’s a lot of specials for this dorama. The last one was aired in Japan last month.
    Which special is it?
    And do you plan to air other specials as well?
    Thank you.

2. Toki wa Ima says:

Sorry. Which Kanbe episode are we on?

Thanks,

3. Sadako1718 says:

I saw the re-run of “The Last Revenge” and I was deeply moved by the well written drama dealing with drastic change of the value due to the historical shift from “samurai era” to Meiji Restoration. I think the young actor who played the principal role is a brilliant actor. He has theater acting career. Can anyone tell me his name?

4. J. Kim says:

I have a question – so where can one purchase the Abarenbo Shogun episodes as DVDs? I have tried to find them but without success. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry, but there are very few Japanese dramas with English subtitles available on DVDs that are legal.

5. Sadako1718 says:

I love jidaigeki with passion !! I missed four beginning episodes of the “Inner Chamber” last time so it took for a while to understand the complicated story. It is so imaginative and well written drama. I think Masato Sakai is a fantastic actor and I fell in love with his acting. I really appreciate your re-run of the “Inner Chamber”.

6. GSP says:

I like Mission to Kill. I “watched” the early episodes in the background and regret it. If it’s re-run, I’ll definitely watch the whole thing again.

Doctor X2 is good. I hope there’s a Doctor X3, etc.

7. Tom Datt says:

I wish there was a way to get your broadcasts outside of Hawaii. My wife is from Okinawa, Japan and we love to watch any of the older Jidaigeki shows. Unfortunately we have only been able to watch the ones that have been uploaded to Youtube which means only Zatoichi, Kozure Okami, and Nagasaki Hankacho. We would love to find a way to get more of them

Sorry, but our licensing rights only allow us to broadcast the programs in Hawaii. We wish we could make the shows available to you, too.

8. The Dude says:

You should consider airing the 12 hour jidaigeki dramas TV Tokyo produced back in the 90s. Most of them are superb productions, great cast etc. and the prefect length for a jidaigeki drama, 13 episodes. Both Musashi series (1990 & 1996) starring the great Kitaoji Kinya would be marvelous to see, as well as his Fuun Yagyu series (1985). There are also tons of TV specials (90mins productions) of both Abarenbo Shogun and Onihei Hankacho. Series produced in 2000 and foward, not so good. Golden era of TV jidaigeki was the 80s and 90s if you ask me.

9. Akira says:

Tenchijin, Ryomaden, Go-Himetachi no Sengoku were good; I like the current taiga drama, Gunshi Kanbe, too.

10. GSP says:

I like the sort of anamorphic widescreen used for Mission to Kill better than letterbox.

11. GSP says:

I never gave Ninja Sarutobi a chance, as the first episode wasn’t appealing. I did really like Abarenbo Shogun, Toyama no Kinsan, 3 Swordsmen.

Looking forward to Mission to Kill and Doctor X2.

What I really miss are those romance dramas with good opening and ending theme songs, or the light hearted family comedies like Akimahende, Love and Peace, Crayon Shinchan.

Thanks for your feedback. Too bad about Ninja Sarutobi. We’re going to retelecast it in September, so I hope you will give it another look. It really is a good show. And thank you for your feedback about those light-hearted family comedies. Thinking about it, we haven’t aired too many of those type recently and will keep this in mind when we are looking at new shows. Did you happen to see Family Court or King of the House? They were family dramas that were somewhat light-hearted with great moral lessons at the end of each episode. Also, if you haven’t already seen it, please watch Let It Be (Sundays at 9pm)? It’s a light-hearted family comedy drama.

• GSP says:

I never watched those family shows. I haven’t been watching much KIKU since college days and shortly after, and recently remembered those romance dramas I liked that had those good j-pop opening and closing theme songs, so “returned” to KIKU with O Hitori Sama, Hatsukoi, Doctor X. I really liked Concerto, Koshonin 1 & 2, Mr. Brain, Musashi. I saw there’s a new Takuya Kimura Miyamoto Musashi 2 episode special, and I’d really like to watch that with English subtitles, even though I watched the long Musashi TV series with the Kabuki actor. It would be crazy if KIKU brought the Takuya Kimura Space Battleship Yamato to Hawaii TV.