Happy New Year!

You may have already heard that KIKU will not be airing NHK’s 2019 Taiga Drama, Idaten. I wanted to provide you with a little bit of background behind this.

Each year since 1963, NHK has produced a year-long taiga drama based on the life of a key figure in Japanese history. KIKU first began airing NHK’s taiga dramas around 1993, and has been airing them every year since.

Next year, for the first time in 25 years, KIKU will not be airing NHK’s taiga drama.

The 2020 Summer Olympics are scheduled to take place in Tokyo, and to gear up, NHK produced Idaten, a taiga drama based upon two historical figures who shaped Japanese Olympics history. Idaten utilizes historical Olympic footage, and because of the strict rules governing the use of this footage in the U.S., KIKU is prohibited from airing it.

NHK requested and received permission from the IOC to air Idaten on its affiliated cable station, TV Japan, with the understanding that because this station is targeted to Japanese-speaking viewers only; there would be no English subtitles. So Idaten is being shown in the U.S., after all, but only on TV Japan.

Faced with the knowledge we would not be able to air Idaten, we thought long and hard about a program to replace it.

We considered airing a taiga drama produced prior to 1993, the first year we began airing the taiga drama.

We even considered re-airing a taiga drama we had aired before.

In the end, we decided to bring back a well-loved program that many of you have requested over and over: Oshin.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Oshin, it is a story about the life of a woman, beginning from the time she was only seven years old and continuing through the end of her life.

More than that, it is a story of hardship, perseverance, determination, and courage.

If you have not seen Oshin before, it is a program worth watching. If you have, it is a program worth watching again.

KIKU-TV is proud to present Oshin in 2019. New episodes will air each Tuesday and Sunday nights, starting February 5 at 8pm and February 10 at 7pm.

Please don’t miss it!

And again, Happy New Year from all of us at KIKU.

23 Responses to 2019 Taiga Drama and Oshin

1. Chuan says:

Any plans to add KIKU to a cordcutting IPTV service such as Sling TV, Philo, Playstation Vue etc?

2. Hiro says:

Programming question about The specialist first show was televised on 3/14. Then on 4/11 the second showing was episode one. Can you explain what’s going on?

• Maiko says:

Thank you for watching The Specialist! Now we are airing The Specialist specials which is two hours specials x4 episodes. We started airing it on 3/14 as episode #1-Part.1. After that it was episode #1-Part.2 on 3/21, episode #2-Part.1 on 3/28, episode #2-Part.2 on 4/4, and episode #3-Part.1 on 4/11. Then, it will be episode #3-Part.2 tomorrow. After finishing episode #4-Part2 on 5/2, new The Specialist season 1 (series) will start on 5/9. Sorry for making you confused. Hope you can still enjoy it!

3. jogi says:

thanks so much for showing oshin. it’s a great series. is there a way where we can buy dvds of the entire series.

4. Mike says:

Did i hear correctly…kiku will start airing a gay related program..?? Is it because kiku feels that they are not “current” with what todays society accepts as a norm..??
    I gotta say….WTF..??!! Im so disappointed….

Dont get me wrong…i have gay friemds…but i dont want to see gay relations in any way because…im not gay…thanks

• Maniko says:

Nobody forces you to watch it… If you don’t like to see gay relationships just don’t watch it.

• Grace says:

Our family felt the same way initially however, after watching the show we realized how hilarious it is. We’re so glad that KIKU decided to show this program. Awesome line-up of shows on Sundays, we look forward to it every week.

5. GK says:

How do I access the first episodes of Oshin; I just saw it tonight 3/5.

6. Christine Veazey says:

Oshin teaches little girls and women that it is acceptable for men to be heartless and violent, and to follow them, to seek their approval, to love them and feel sorry for them. Bad movie.

• Akira says:

And yet, it is still the highest-rated Japanese drama and one of the most beloved dramas of all time.
      I understand your opinion, but I think you’re missing the point of the whole show. “Oshin” is about an immensely successful woman whose hardships from childhood made her persevere through anything life throws at her. The show was set from the early 1900s to 1983 (the year the series originally aired), so of course standards were different back then. Violence/Abuse is unacceptable in ANY form, but this was a time where such acts within the family and within society were taken for granted. That does not mean we cannot learn how to make it through tough times, which is the underlying theme.
      Also, the series is 297 episodes long, and was originally 15 minutes long. This series is not meant for everyone or (as my uncle would say) “softies” (no offense to you personally). If you don’t like it or are offended by it, you can turn off the television or watch some other show.

7. Christine Veazey says:

I found the movie Oshin disturbing. Father ruthlessly beats little girl when she comes home. She cannot sleep in her house but is sent to the shed. She holds her face like stone statue throughout the ordeal with some expressionless tears. From then on she must seek the love and approval of her misogynistic father. This is what the movie teaches young girls. No wonder they grow up thinking men who beat them love them. Bad movie.

8. maluhia kauanoe says:

change of ownership and programing has not deterred my watching. change is good but sometimes I miss seeing the programs I grew up watching no matter what the contents were. I loved the dramas, police, medical and every day life in Japan. Making it through…despite the older actors has passed the storyline lives on in todays lives. Miss Abarenbo Shogun which Ken Matsudaira portrayed I was hooked especially the different ninjas that worked with him I cannot forget Asaemon. If its possible can you bring it back as reruns. I can go on…the mystery theatre…the current Dr X, Dr Stork, Behind the Noren, I am now hooked on Oshin again. In our household KIKUTV channel 9 is constant if we are out we record cannot miss an episode.

9. Lori Bruner Okamura says:

We just found Oshin playing on February 24th. Is there a way to access the earlier episodes?

We watched this show many years ago and missed the beginning years. My aunt told me that Oshin’s life parallels my grandmother’s life since they were of a similar age. My Obachan was one of the last picture brides, arriving in Honolulu from Hiroshima in 1922.

10. Ian says:

Just a note: Oshin has 297 episodes in all, and all are 15 minutes long. I think if KIKU were to air each episode in a one-hour time frame, they should combine 3-4 episodes of the original each time they show it (for example, the first episode to be aired on KIKU would be a merger of Episodes 1-3 or 1-4 from the original 15min-long series). I can’t wait!

11. Ian says:

Just a note: Oshin has 297 episodes in all, and they are all 15 minutes long. If each episode of the series is going to be aired as a one-hour episode, KIKU will have to combine three or four episodes in that time slot (for example, the first episode to be aired on KIKU (which would be an hour long) would be episodes 1-3 or 1-4 of the original 15 minute-long series), and so forth. I can’t wait!

• Masako says:

Does anyone know when Oshin will end? I’m going to be away for a couple of months and not sure if my DVR will have enough memory.

12. S says:

I really enjoyed hanbun aoi this year. Maybe that’s an option. The only difficult thing is the Gifu Ben that is used.

13. Diane says:

Please show Miyamoto Musahi again, my husband got to see only the ending part of the drama. We would really appreciate it, if you can show it again. We watch all the NHK dramas, we like the Japanese History, that goes way back.

Diane

14. L. Hayashi says:

The Taiga drama on Miyamoto Musashi was a classic. Please air it again.

15. GLENN MATSUMOTO says:

Through my ipad I found a Miyamoto Musashi drama with English subtitles produced by KIKU TV back in 2003. The subtitles were installed by Sandra Iha w/ KIKU back then. If you plan to reshow Oshin, I think samurai drama may be of interest to your viewers.

16. Craig S. says:

Is it because the USOC prohibits film of American Olympians from being shown without permission?